Toulon woman arrested for DUI, child endangerment

By John A. Ballentine

A Toulon woman was arrested on December 27, 2016 for two charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding and endangering the life and health of a child. The arrest took place in the area of Illinois Route 91 and Township Road 100 N, Toulon, Illinois near the southern border of Stark County.

Heather D. Rucker, 37, of Toulon, Illinois, has been charged because she allegedly was driving under the influence of alcohol therefore endangering the life of a minor. Court documentation sites that Rucker “was driving DUI at a time when her blood alcohol [sic: concentration] was in excess of 0.08%.” Also, Rucker was allegedly driving 81 miles per hour in a 55 mph speed zone at the time.

Rucker made her first appearance Friday, January 6, 2017 for an attorney appearance. Stark County public defender Robert M. McBride was assigned as Rucker’s legal counsel by Circuit Judge Thomas A. Keith. Bail was previously set at $3,000 (10% applicable) or, $100 and surrender of her Illinois driver’s license, to which she opted for instead of the $3,000.

The case was continued until February 10, according to her legal counsel Robert M. McBride, so that Rucker could receive an evaluation, although what type of evaluation was not specified in court or on court documentation. Also, Rucker will enter a plea on February 10 during her next court appearance.

Rucker’s arrests include Stark County convictions for domestic battery in 2009, Henry County 2014 conviction of domestic battery, and Bureau County conviction from 2006 of speeding, plus a 2016 conviction of improper traffic lane usage, failure to reduce speed, and failure to notify of damage to an unattended vehicle.

3 thoughts on “Toulon woman arrested for DUI, child endangerment

• January 11, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Yes I made a mistake and I’m paying for it and I know it was wrong of me and if I could take it back I would and yes people make mistakes and learn from them and I’m doing what I have to do

• January 16, 2017 at 10:16 am

Regardless of if you are trying to fix your mistake, your child doesn’t need a mother who puts her own wants ahead of his needs. I’ve seen you around town, at the school and with your son, if I knew your address my dear I would make a call to DCFS on your sons behalf. He is special needs and needs an adult to care for him who wont endanger his life. Your attitude towards this whole thing is concerning to say the least. I have SEEN you being careless with your son multiple times and I have always been very worried about him. I for one hope Judge Keith removes your son from your care and shows you how parents who put their children at risk should be punished.
    My prayers go with you and your son both. But I along with many others in the community can see that for the sake of your son, you should NOT get off at lightly.

• January 24, 2017 at 11:39 am

You obviously continue to live a life of poor decision making and you only feel slightly remorseful because you got caught. Don’t waste your calories on pretending like you’re a changed human being and that you’ve learned from your mistakes. Your constant run ins with the law and domestic battery’s speak for the kind of person you are. People like you think that chaos just happens to constantly find them, when actually you’re the individual who creates the chaos. Fix your life and do opposite of breaking the law and making poor life choices, and that’ll be your biggest victory. It’s called being an adult and making sacrifices.